Short Project Agreement
The Short Project Agreement applies to those projects shooting entirely in the United States with a maximum total budget of $50,000 and a maximum total run time of 40 minutes. Note that this does not apply to episodic nor animated projects.
Please submit the required paperwork at least 3 weeks before the start of principal photography or before you intend to travel or rehearse performers (whichever is earliest).
Quick Start Guide for Independent Producers
If you are planning to commence or resume production on a SAG-AFTRA covered project that requires any in person interaction between individuals, the union will be requiring materials related to your COVID-19 safety protocols. While this document doesn’t cover everything you need to know, this guide is intended to help you get started on the process.
Begin by filling out the Short Project Agreement Preliminary Information Form.
* Please note, student projects would sign to the Student Film Agreement, and would begin by filling out the Student Film Agreement Preliminary Information Form.
Within 2-3 business days, you will be assigned a Signatory Business Representative. Your Business Representative will send you a zip file including some important information and additional documents that we will need.
Once we receive and review the requested documents, you will receive a link to DocuSign the Short Project Agreement and Pension & Health Adherence Letter.
When all of the requirements above have been fulfilled, your Signatory Business Representative will grant you production “clearance,” which will allow the performers that you have cast to begin work.
Complete the following documents during production
- Each performer must sign a “Performer Contract – Short Project Agreement”
- If working in a zone with background coverage, each covered background actor must sign a “Background Actor Contract – Short Project Agreement”
- Complete a “Production Time Report – Exhibit G” for each day of production
- Complete the “Final Cast List Information Sheet” at the end of production
Unless you are deferring payment to your performers, submit all pay checks to your SAG-AFTRA Signatory Business Representative no later than the Thursday following the week worked.
Follow the instructions given to you by your SAG-AFTRA Signatory Business Representative for submission of the following to SAG-AFTRA:
- Signed copies of each Performer Contract and Background Actor Contract (include, if applicable, all performer deal memos, riders, side letters, addendums, long forms, etc.)
- All completed “Production Time Report – Exhibit G” forms
- The Final Cast List Information Sheet
And that’s it!
If you have any questions, please contact your SAG-AFTRA Business Representative!
Short Project Agreement General Inquiry Line: (323) 549 - 6680