Now is the time to remain connected to your craft and prepare for when the industry gets back to business.
Check out videos at SAG-AFTRA’s YouTube channel as well as the video libraries and online workshops hosted by the SAG-AFTRA Foundation. There are plenty of free online opportunities to keep your performance skills in focus. Also, make sure you are remaining physically and mentally active and fit during this time of isolation. Beacon Health Options offers these recommendations:
- Look for and stick with a few trusted online sources for updates, and check in with them only a few times a week. Also set limits to time spent on social media.
- Develop a routine and set daily goals. Designate work and school hours, and go through the day as you normally would, being mindful of chores or breaks. Treat workdays as workdays, and weekends as a special treat.
- Be proactive about staying in touch and virtual connections. Social distancing is easier for some and harder for others. Take time to call family, friends and fellow members, or set up a virtual activity like dinner or a table read.
- Take care of yourself. Being physically active is good for your overall health.
- Remember to eat nutritious and balanced meals, exercise for at least 30 minutes a day and prioritize sleep.
- Be mindful of your thoughts. It’s easy to overthink and dwell on the unknown at this time. If you find yourself doing so, simply take a deep breath and refocus your thinking towards other tasks.
Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Telehealth options are available at this time. If you’re looking for additional mental health resources for yourself or family, check out the resources available here:
- SAG-AFTRA Health Plan/Beacon Health Options
- The Actors Fund
- National Alliance on Mental Illness. Call (800) 950-NAMI, text “NAMI” to 741741 or email at email@example.com.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration’s Disaster Distress Helpline. Call (800) 985-5990, a 24/7, 365 days-a-year national hotline that provides immediate crisis counseling. It is toll-free, multilingual and confidential.
This item originally featured in the SAG-AFTRA magazine spring 2020.