Aloha Hawaii Local members,
Some good news, our deepfakes initiative is moving forward in the legislature. HB2572 HD1 Relating to RELATING TO PRIVACY, passed out of the joint House Judiciary and Consumer Protection and Commerce Committee, and will now be heard in the Senate in a joint hearing of the Commerce, Consumer Protection and Health, and the Technology committees on Tuesday, March 17, 2020 at 9 a.m.
This is a large omnibus bill centering on privacy rights. Of great importance to our members is the section that makes creating and distributing deepfake pornography a felony (section V found on page 20).
For more on SAG-AFTRA’s position and initiatives on Deepfakes click here. Also more information about deepfakes in general can be found here.
Hearing notice can be viewed here.
Time is of the essence with regards to your testimony. On time testimony must be submitted by 9 a.m., Monday, March 16, 2020 and late testimony may be submitted until the hearing time.
Submitting testimony is easy.
Go to the bill’s status page (you can read the entire bill, previous testimony and committee reports here), look in the upper right hand part of the screen and click on the blue “Submit Testimony” button.
If you have not already created a login, you will be instructed on how to do so. After that, it is just a few clicks to have your voice heard.
When submitting testimony, you need not write anything out, it is as simple as clicking the “SUPPORT” button. However, if you are so inclined to write more please consider:
1. Thanking the Legislature for addressing this important issue
2. Stating that you are supporting SECTION VI of the bill found on page 58
3. Supporting making the creation and distribution of deepfake pornography a felony
4. Sharing a little about how this issue has harmed SAG-AFTRA members, like Emma Watson and Scarlett Johansson, and could impact you or anyone. Also noting that deepfake pornography has been made of over 1,000 SAG-AFTRA members and is being used to harass college students and ex-girlfriends.
5. Stating that this privacy protection is a basic human right to be free from abuse and harassment
We need to get a large number of testimony submitted via the capitol.gov portal in time for the hearing to send the message that this is important to our membership. Oral testimony will be accepted at this hearing. If you would like to attend the hearing in person, please email firstname.lastname@example.org first.
Thank you for your support and thank you for taking the time to read this email. Please contact email@example.com with questions.
- Action Alerts