Join the UTLA Picket at Hollywood High with AFT President Randi Weingarten
DAY OF ACTION: 2:30 p.m., Tuesday, Jan. 15, Sunset Blvd. & Highland Ave. (Rain or Shine)
30,000 educators across Los Angeles are now on strike, taking action to improve learning conditions in their classrooms and for the future of public education. SAG-AFTRA members stand in solidarity with our dedicated sisters and brothers of United Teachers Los Angeles and are encouraged to join the picket line at our adopted school, Hollywood High (1521 N. Highland Ave., Hollywood) — or at any LAUSD school near you.
To show our strength in numbers, please join SAG-AFTRA Secretary-Treasurer and L.A. Local President Jane Austin, National VP L.A. Clyde Kusatsu and National Board Member Ellen Crawford as we welcome special guest, American Federation of Teachers President Randi Weingarten on Tuesday, Jan. 15 at 2:30 at Hollywood High. Meet at the corner of Highland and Sunset to join the picket. Wear your SAG-AFTRA t-shirt* or something red (#Red4Ed).
The UTLA strike is shaping up to be the most important and biggest labor action of the decade. And when we stand together, we win! See you on Tuesday!
*SAG-AFTRA t-shirts are available for pickup today, 1-4 p.m., and tomorrow, Tuesday, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. at SAG-AFTRA Plaza in the check-in area of the James Cagney Boardroom, 5757 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90036. Please show your SAG-AFTRA ID for pickup.
Parking for Hollywood High: Please consider taking the Metro. There is limited parking in the Sunset Blvd. and Highland Ave. area of Hollywood. Please observe all parking signs and meters. SAG-AFTRA not responsible for parking.
Here are some ways you can support educators during the strike:
1. Picket at Hollywood High: If you live in the L.A. area, join us at a picket at SAG-AFTRA’s adopted school, Hollywood High (1521 N. Highland Ave., Hollywood), or join a picket line at a school near you. Check sagaftra.org and our social media for times we will rally together. This website www.WeArePublicSchools.org will also let you know picket and rally locations and times throughout the district. Wherever you join a picket line, notify the union rep on site that you’re a member of SAG-AFTRA there to stand with L.A. educators!
2. Social Media: On Friday, in advance of the strike, join education unions in wearing red to support educators. Take a selfie and post to social media. Use the hashtags #strikeready #redfored #UTLAstrong and tag @UTLAnow. Sample social media posts and graphics to show #solidarity with educators are below.
Please amplify the strike by posting on social media that you won’t cross the line! Stand up for public education!
3. Sign a petition to support striking educators! Our sisters and brothers at CTA have set up a petition for us to share messages of support with striking educators at UTLA and the Oakland Education Association, which is also preparing to strike. Please share far and wide so we get as many supportive messages as possible!
4. Stay Informed: For updates on the strike follow @UTLAnow and @ReclaimLASchls
Sample Tweets & Messaging:
- #sagaftramembers stand with LA educators in their fight for a fair contract that benefits educators, students & the community. Support @UTLAnow in their fight for schools our students deserve by joining a picket line here: http://www.wearepublicschools.org/ #UTLAstrong #red4ed
- We’re wearing #Red4Ed to stand in strong #solidarity w/ our sisters & brothers @UTLAnow. Dignity & respect for educators is fundamental to student success! When we stand together, we win! #UTLAstrong
- Students deserve smaller class sizes, counselors, and nurses. Educators deserve dignity and respect on the job. That’s why I’m standing with @UTLAnow. When we fight, we win! #red4ed #UTLAStrong
- We stand with @UTLAnow educators as they fight for a fair contract, smaller class sizes, full & equitable funding to support students, and RESPECT. Their fight is our fight! #Red4Ed #Strikeready #UTLAStrong
Sample graphics for Twitter, Facebook and Instagram here.