In a historic moment for Spanish language performers, on July 21 the SAG-AFTRA National Board unanimously approved the first-ever agreement with Telemundo Television Studios to cover Spanish-language television performers. This momentous agreement marks a breakthrough after 15 months of negotiations after Telemundo performers voted to unionize on March 8, 2017.
The initial contract includes the most important elements all performers deserve:
- Contributions to and participation in the SAG-AFTRA Health Plan and SAG-Producers Pension Plan for the first time.
- Residuals for both foreign and domestic exploitation and streaming platforms, based on a percentage of Telemundo’s gross receipts.
- First ever guaranteed minimum rates for all covered performer categories (including actors, stunt performers, singers and dancers).
- Annual increases in all newly-established minimums between 1-2% per year
- Newly established working conditions and safety protections, including:
- Minimum rest period between calls of 10 hours
- Requirement for qualified personnel to coordinate stunts
- Provisions regarding protection of minors
- Overtime, holiday pay, and per diem when on location