Dear Members of the San Francisco-Northern California Local,
I am writing on behalf of the Local Board of Directors to let you know that our Local Executive Director, Leonard Egert, will be moving on to an exciting new job opportunity as of July 15, 2016. Len has been named the National Executive Director of the American Guild of Musical Artists. AGMA represents performers across the country at operas, ballets, symphonies and related venues. This is an excellent opportunity for Len, and although our hearts are saddened to be losing his leadership and support, we are very excited for him as he embarks on this new role.
The fact that Len has been chosen for this new post speaks volumes to his talents as a leader in the labor movement. Of course, we on the Board of Directors have experienced that leadership, having worked closely with him over the past several years.
During Len’s tenure as San Francisco-Northern California’s Executive Director, he has guided and worked alongside the dedicated staff in our office making significant strides for our local including:
- Successful completion of multiple broadcast negotiations (over 15) by galvanizing the affected membership and implementing innovative social media campaigns;
- Re-engaging local film, television and commercial producers and bringing many previously non-union producers, ad agencies and signatories back into the fold;
- Re-capturing over sixty productions under the Corporate/Educational agreement, resulting in over 100 new jobs for members;
- Successfully organizing KNBR-AM – the top-rated sports radio station in the Bay Area – as well as off-air staff at KGO-AM, KSFO-AM and KCBS-AM, resulting in about 100 new members;
- Devising and implementing a local safety summit initiative with other unions in response to a pattern of continued robberies and attacks on news crews in the field.
- Establishing strong relationships with local Film Commissioners, talent agencies, casting directors and the labor community at-large. Len has personally served on the San Francisco Labor Council and as an advisor to the Friends of San Francisco Film Commission.
Please give Len a ‘virtual’ round of applause in recognition of his contributions to the San Francisco-Northern California Local of SAG-AFTRA, and to congratulate him on this new opportunity!
In moving forward, I will be organizing a local search committee for the new Executive Director. The committee will work with Mathis Dunn, Associate National Executive Director and Linda Dowell, Assistant National Executive Director, Locals, along with support from the Human Resources department, to identify and recommend a candidate or candidates to the Local Board and the National Executive Director. Watch for further news and know that our wonderful staff at the local remain committed to providing excellent service during this transition.
San Francisco-Northern California Local President