Producer’s Guide to Working with SAG-AFTRA on an
Interactive Video Game Production
Download Producer's Guide Here
SAG-AFTRA Signatory Producers have access to the world’s most talented and professional performers for their video games, but becoming signatory does require completing a small amount of paperwork. We understand that dealing with paperwork isn’t as much fun as producing your video game, so to ease this burden we’ve created this three-step guide to completing the signatory process—it’s simple and easy!
The Signatory Package Zip Files that are posted on the Production Center at SAGAFTRA.org are provided so that producers may review and consider them before beginning the signatory process. They are for demonstration purposes only---documents with signature lines are watermarked “SAMPLE” and cannot be executed.
For your reference, the Signatory Package Zip Files are divided into 2 folders: Signatory Documents and Production Documents. You will use the Signatory Documents to sign with the Guild, and the Production Documents to manage the production and post-production phases of your project.
Once you have decided to begin the signatory process, start by following the steps outlined in the Pre-Production section below.
Step 1 – Pre-Production
Start by calling the SAG-AFTRA Interactive Department at (323) 549-6849. A Business Representative will personally talk with you about your video game, walk you through the Screen Actors Guild - Producer Interactive Media Agreement and answer any questions you may have. Finally, after collecting some basic information, you will simply be asked to forward your company’s corporate business paperwork: Articles of Incorporation for Corporations, or, for Limited Liability Corporations, Articles of Organization and Operating Agreement.
Your Business Representative will quickly email a zip file packet of PDF Forms, which contains the following signatory documents along with production paperwork and other documents necessary for your production. The documents in that packet are not samples and can be fully executed. Here’s all you do to get started:
- Signatory Documents:
- Adherence Letter Interactive Media 2.7 (return 2 signed originals)
- Adherence Letter Pension And Health Plans 2.3 (return 2 signed originals)
- Information Sheet Credit Check New Media Interactive 4.15
- Corporate Resolution 3.11
- Fill in all blank fields highlighted in light blue. Print the documents (five in all) and sign the hard copies on all the indicated signature lines. Return all five hand-signed original signatory documents to your SAG-AFTRA Business Representative via U.S. Mail, Overnight or hand deliver to:
New Media/Interactive Contracts
5757 Wilshire Blvd., 7th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90036
When all of the requirements outlined above are fulfilled, your SAG-AFTRA Business Rep will give your production “clearance”, meaning that the Performers and Background Actors may now start work.
Important Notice Regarding Signatory Documents
Who may sign? Signatory documents must be executed by an authorized person or persons.
- Corporations – Any person who is authorized by the President or Secretary of the Corporation on the Corporate Resolution. The Corporate Resolution may be signed only by the President or Secretary of the Corporation.
- Limited Liability Corporations – The Manager or Managing Member as indicated by the Articles of Organization, the Operating Agreement and authorized by the Limited Liability Company Resolution.
- Limited Partnerships – The General Partner as identified in the Partnership Agreement.
- Sole Proprietorships – The Individual Owner.
- D/B/A (“Doing Business As”) – The Individual.
Step 2 – Production
There are a few requirements you need to take care of before you start and during production. Here are the steps:
- First, you need to clear your performers by calling “Station 12” at (323) 549-6801. This easy step simply acknowledges that all parties are signed, current and clear to work together. If you are hiring a performer or background actor who is not a SAG-AFTRA member, you will need to complete a Taft-Hartley Report Principals Theatrical-Television 6.1, or a Taft-Hartley Report Background Theatrical-Television 6.2, and submit them to the Guild, along with head shots and resumes.
- Before work begins, complete and have each professional performer sign a Performer Contract Interactive 6.35.
- Complete a Production Time Report Exhibit G 6.14 for each day of production.
- Remember to forward performer payments within 12 business days after services are rendered. You can utilize the services of a payroll company to help with performer payments and SAG-Producers Pension and Health contributions.
Step 3 – Post-Production
Forward the following items to the attention of your SAG-AFTRA Interactive Media Business Representative:
- Copies of all Performer Contract Interactive 6.35. Include, if applicable, Performer Deal Memos, side letters, etc.
- Production Time Report Exhibit G 6.14
- Complete a Final Cast List Information Sheet 7.1 at the end of production.
- If you are not using a payroll company, complete a Pension And Health Report Of Contributions Interactive 6.8 and send, along with a check to the SAG-Producers Pension & Health Plans in Burbank, CA.
Send the requested documents to the attention of your SAG-AFTRA Interactive Media Business Representative at:
5757 Wilshire Blvd., 7th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90036
That’s it! If you have any questions, please contact your SAG-AFTRA Interactive Media Business Representative at (323) 549-6849.