Open Door 2017
SAG-AFTRA Open Door 2017 will take place this fall. Open Door provides an opportunity for paid-up New York Local members to meet one-on-one with casting directors and franchised talent agents.
The Open Door program is a three-step process:
Step 1 – Lottery for Registration: On one of the four dates below, come to the office to draw at random a card with the date and time you will return for appointment registration. The cards are equally distributed over the four days, so it does not matter which day you come. Please allow one hour for this process.
In order to participate, you must go through the lottery. Please bring your current SAG-AFTRA membership card paid through Oct. 31, 2017.
When: Noon – 4:30 p.m., Tuesday, Sept. 19
11 a.m. – 4 p.m., Friday, Sept. 22
2:30 – 7:30 p.m., Monday, Sept. 25
11 a.m. – 4 p.m., Wednesday, Sept. 27
Please remember that registration dates and times are chosen at random so you can come to any one of the four lottery dates and times above.
1900 Broadway, 5th Floor
New York, NY 10023
(Between 63rd and 64th Streets)
Step 2 – Appointment Registration: On the date chosen at the Lottery, sign up for your interview on a future date with a participating casting director or franchised talent agent of your choice. Registration will take place the week of October 16. Please allow at least one hour for this process. Remember to have your current headshot and resume with you.
Step 3 – Interviews: Meet with the casting director or franchised talent agent you chose during registration. The majority of these appointments will take place in late October at the SAG-AFTRA office. Please come fully prepared: dress appropriately, bring current headshot and resume and have any needed materials, such as monologues and readings, fully prepared.
The Open Door Committee is made up of SAG-AFTRA members who volunteer hundreds of hours of their time to open doors for YOU. At the last Open Door program over 1,600 members met with 100 franchised talent agents and casting directors who gave out over 2000 appointments.
Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This program is only open to paid-up SAG-AFTRA members in good standing — no guests are allowed. Parents/guardians of performers under 18 years old are welcome. SAG-AFTRA members, please bring your membership card (paid through Oct. 31, 2017) for admittance.
Open Door Lottery and Registration Information
Welcome to the 2017 Open Door! The SAG-AFTRA Open Door Committee is administered by your fellow members, on a voluntary basis, as a service to you. We want to make this a good experience for you and to assist in the furtherance your career. To do that we need your help. Please understand the following:
- The LOTTERY is to pick a registration time slot only. You’ll choose your appointment at registration during the week of Oct. 16 here at 1900 Broadway, 5th floor.
- You must be a paid-up SAG-AFTRA New York Local member. Have your membership card ready. You must show your latest card, which should read “Expires 10.31.2017.”
- ALL TIME SLOTS ARE THE LUCK OF THE DRAW. Your place in line today does not determine what time slot you will be getting for registration.
- The card you draw will have the time, date and place for Open Door REGISTRATION. Registration times are in half-hour intervals on the following dates:
Tuesday, Oct. 17: Noon - 4:30 p.m.
Wednesday, Oct. 18: 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Thursday, Oct. 19: 11:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Friday, Oct. 20: 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
You cannot register before the allotted date and time on your card, but you may register on any of the dates and times after the time you have drawn (up until the last time slot listed above). (Note: You must bring your SAG-AFTRA card (Exp. 10.31.2017), your lottery card and your photo and resume.)
- You will have only one chance to draw a time slot. If you cannot come at that time or any scheduled time slot thereafter, speak with a committee chairperson regarding other options.
- Print the information asked for on the lottery card drawn. Proceed to one of the computer station, and show the committee member your membership card and lottery card. They will enter your information into the database. Once this process is completed, you may leave. Do not leave until your information has been entered.
- On your day of registration, you will be able to pick your appointment. You are not going to do that now. Remember to bring your SAG-AFTRA card and your lottery card to registration.
- You must check in fifteen minutes before your scheduled registration time. If you need to, you may register later than your assigned time and you’ll be admitted on a space-available basis at half-hour intervals.
- Because the committee will be working up to the last minute to obtain appointments with the agents and casting directors, the registration booklet will not be available to you until you arrive. Read up on current agents and casting directors so you have ideas about which appointment might be best for you.
YOU MUST BRING A PHOTO/ RESUME WITH YOU TO REGISTRATION!
(We are sometimes asked to check credits or to collect them for specific projects.)