Producer’s Guide to Working with SAG-AFTRA on a Short Film
Download Producer's Guide Here
SAG-AFTRA Signatory Producers have access to the world’s most talented and professional performers for their projects, but becoming signatory does require completing a small amount of paperwork. We understand that dealing with paperwork isn’t as much fun as shooting your project, so to ease this burden we’ve created this simple 3-step guide to completing the signatory process.
The Signatory Package Zip Files that are posted on the Production Center at SAGAFTRA.org are provided so that producers may review and consider them before beginning the signatory process. They are for demonstration purposes only---documents with signature lines are watermarked “SAMPLE” and cannot be executed.
For your reference, the Signatory Package Zip Files are divided into 2 folders: Signatory Documents and Production Documents. You will use the Signatory Documents to sign with the Guild, and the Production Documents to manage the production and post-production phases of your project.
Once you have decided to begin the signatory process, start by following the steps outlined in the Pre-Production section below.
Step 1 – Pre-Production
Unless you have already done so, begin by filling out a copy of the Preliminary Information Sheet Student Short Film 4.23. Return this form along with a copy of the script and a copy of your driver’s license, via e-mail to email@example.com, or by fax at (323) 549-6886. You may also mail these items to us at: Screen Actors Guild, Theatrical Contracts, 5757 Wilshire Blvd., 7th Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90036.
The Zip File that the SAG-AFTRA Business Representative will electronically forward to you includes a copy of the Short Film Agreement 1.13 along with a Pre-Production Cast List 5.1. Those documents are not samples and can be fully executed. All you need to do is:
- Open the PDF of the Short Film Agreement 1.13, and fill in all of the writeable fields (highlighted in light blue). It is important that you do not leave any fields blank, because an incomplete form may cause delays in processing.
- Sign on the “Producer/Legally Responsible Party” line at the bottom of the form. The name of the person signing should match the name on the driver’s license you originally forwarded to SAG with your Preliminary Information Sheet.
- Return a hand-signed original copy of the Short Film Agreement and the completed Pre-Production Cast List via email, mail or hand deliver to the attention of your Business Representative at: SAG-AFTRA, Theatrical Contracts, 5757 Wilshire Blvd., 7th Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90036.
When all of the requirements outlined above are fulfilled, your Business Representative will give your production “clearance,” which will allow the performers you have cast to begin work.
Important Notice Regarding Signatory Documents
Who may sign? Signatory documents must be executed by an authorized person or persons.
- Corporations – Any person who is authorized by the President or Secretary of the Corporation on the Corporate Resolution. The Corporate Resolution may be signed only by the President or Secretary of the Corporation.
- Limited Liability Corporations – The Manager or Managing Member as indicated by the Articles of Organization, the Operating Agreement and authorized by the Limited Liability Company Resolution.
- Limited Partnerships – The General Partner as identified in the Partnership Agreement.
- Sole Proprietorships – The Individual Owner.
- D/B/A (“Doing Business As”) – The Individual.
Step 2 – Production
Complete the following documents during production:
- Each professional performer must sign a Performer Contract Short Film 6.33.
- Each professional performer must sign a Performer Confirmation Of Receipt Of Contracts Student Short Film 6.13.
- Complete a Production Time Report Exhibit G 6.14 for each day of production.
- Complete Final Cast List Information Sheet 7.1 at the end of production.
Step 3 – Post-Production
Send the following documents to the attention of your SAG-AFTRA Business Representative:
- Copies of each Performer Contract Short Film 6.33, signed by the performer. Include, if applicable, all performer deal memos, side letters, etc.
- All completed Production Time Report Exhibit G 6.14 forms.
- All Performer Confirmation Of Receipt Of Contracts Student Short Film 6.13 forms, signed by the performers.
- Final Cast List Information Sheet 7.1
That’s it! If you have any questions, please contact your SAG-AFTRA Business Representative.