Start: 08/24/2013 - 8:30am
End: 08/26/2013 - 10:30pm
When: August 24–26, 2013
Where: Anaheim Marriott
700 W. Convention Way
Anaheim, CA 92802
Early bird registrations as low as $155, if you register before July 25. On-site parking will be $24 a day.
In 2011, the Society of Professional Journalists and the Radio Television Digital News Association partnered to host an annual conference that provides journalists with the industry’s best training and networking opportunities. Following two successful Excellence in Journalism conferences, SPJ and RTDNA welcomes the National Association of Hispanic Journalists as an EIJ collaborator for the 2013 event in Anaheim, Calif.
EIJ conference attendees are the top professionals in journalism, including: newsroom decision makers, leaders, station managers, reporters, producers, content managers, editors, freelancers and educators – people who are looking to implement new technologies, software products and journalism best practices in their newsrooms as soon they return home from Anaheim.
Excellence in Journalism features the Journalism Expo, where you can check out the latest products and services to improve your students' newscasts, publications, websites and more.
SAG-AFTRA will have a booth at the Excellence In Journalism Expo, in addition, we will be hosting the following panels:
Panel 1: Journalism — Daily Stress, Lasting Impact
Sunday, August 25 from 9:00 – 10:00 a.m.
- From last year’s Newtown tragedy to the kidnapping of a journalist team in Syria, the pressures of covering very difficult news events may have both an immediate and lasting impact on anyone who works in a newsroom or on location. While covering violence is not new to the profession, journalists often carry the burden of its impact as a hazard of the job. Working to cover these stories on a 24/7 basis, delivering content for multiple platforms, and getting close to the story may be part of the job, but it is not without significant emotional impact on those who work in our profession. Join leading journalists, representatives from SAG-AFTRA, and professionals from partner organizations devoted to keeping journalists safe — physically and mentally for a discussion of how the industry is addressing these issues, as well as the benefits and protections SAG-AFTRA and partner organizations provide journalists dealing with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
- Moderator: Mike Walter, general news anchor, CCTV-America, Dart Center Ochberg Fellowship Recipient, Producer/Director Breaking News, Breaking Down
- Speakers: Anna Calderon, Director, Los Angeles News & Broadcast, SAG-AFTRA; Mary Cavallaro, Assistant National Executive Director News & Broadcast, SAG-AFTRA; Claudia Peschiutta, Reporter, KNX. More panelists TBA.
Panel 2: Changing Times, Changing Terms: Claiming Your Power in the New Media Newsroom
Sunday, August 25 from 2:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- As your newsroom continues to evolve into a mobile, digitized, multi-platform workplace, how can you seize new opportunities for your career? How does “One Man Banding” affect the quality of your work and your work life? Whether you’re thinking about getting a new job, being reassigned, taking a buyout or being laid off, learn how to negotiate the strongest PSC possible, choose an agent, manager or lawyer and strategically switch jobs, companies or markets. Leading industry professionals share best practices on how you can be proactive in shaping your newsroom role, what you need to know to transform your career vision into action ... and claim your power as an employee.
- Trainers: Joe Vazquez, Emmy award-winning reporter and multi-media journalist, KPIX CBS5; Mary Cavallaro, Asst. National Executive Director, News & Broadcast, SAG-AFTRA. More panelists TBA.
Don't forget, if you register before July 25, registration rates are as low as $155.
To see the latest details about Excellence in Journalism 2013, check out the conference website. Join us in Southern California for the nation's premier gathering of electronic journalists and see for yourself how this annual conference is a must-attend event for the decision makers and journalists around the country!