Los Angeles (June 23, 2005) – Screen Actors Guild (SAG) announced today that SAG President Melissa Gilbert and National Executive Director/CEO Greg Hessinger will convene a special meeting of the national board on Wednesday, June 29, to consider the tentative Interactive Media Agreement with video game companies that was rejected this past Tuesday by SAG’s National Executive Committee.
“When the NEC rejected the tentative contract earlier this week, we said we’d explore all our remaining options,” said Hessinger. “Since then, we have received feedback from enough of our membership to conclude that this matter must be brought before the full board for its consideration.”
The previous three-year agreement with video game companies expired this past May 13 after several months of bargaining with the companies. Over the course of the subsequent weeks, SAG issued a strike referendum to its affected members, before reaching a tentative agreement on June 8, which is set to expire next Thursday, June 30. The American Federation of Television and Radio Artists, which negotiated jointly with SAG, approved the agreement last week and it will go into effect for their members on July 1, 2005.