SAG-AFTRA protects and serves its members. Benefits include:
- Contracts/collective bargaining. SAG-AFTRA negotiates wages and working conditions in order to maintain minimum standards for its members. Learn more about contracts.
- Pension & Health/Health & Retirement. Members earn credits toward retirement and health care each time they work. Visit the SAG P&H Web site at www.sagph.org and AFTRA H&R at www.aftrahr.com.
- The SAG-AFTRA Conservatory offers a variety of workshops taught by industry pros who will assess and enhance your skills as an actor. Visit your Local page for Conservatory news and events in your area.
- Casting workshops. Cold reading and scene showcases with working casting directors. Visit your local page and the EEO & Diversity Department page for events in your area.
- The SAG-AFTRA Foundation is an educational, humanitarian and philanthropic 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, which serves members of SAG-AFTRA, their families and the greater community. Visit the Foundation Web site at www.sagaftrafoundation.org.
- iActor. SAG-AFTRA’s free, members-only online casting directory. Please log in as a member to access iActor.
- Deals & Discounts. SAG-AFTRA members are eligible for outstanding deals on entertainment, car rentals, insurance, medical visits, prescriptions, real estate, legal services and more. Just log in as a member and click on "Deals and Discounts" under Members Service.
- Resources to Organize Non-Union Work. SAG-AFTRA members and staff can organize non-union productions and sign them to SAG-AFTRA contracts. Visit our "Organizing" section for more information.
- Contracts to Cover You When Working in a Low Budget/Student Film. If you are approached about appearing in a non-union student film, low-budget, ultra low-budget, or short film there is a SAG-AFTRA contract to cover it. Check out SAGindie at www.sagindie.org.
- Discount Films. The SAG-AFTRA Film Society offers members and a guest opportunities to view the latest releases at a great discount off theatre prices (program available in certain areas.) Also, members can purchase discounted movie tickets to various public theatres. Visit your Local page for programs in your area.
- Tools for Young Performers. SAG-AFTRA offers Young Performers orientation meetings, a handbook containing detailed information to help young performers, an online database consisting of laws pertaining to young performers across the country, and many more resources for young actors and their parents.
- Publications for Union Members. Read SAG-AFTRA Magazine, SAG-AFTRA’s quarterly members-only publication filled with useful information for members. Also, make sure SAG-AFTRA has your email address, and look out for regular local newsletters and eblasts. We want to help you stay informed about your union and industry.
- Involvement in the decision-making process at SAG-AFTRA. SAG-AFTRA is a representative democracy run by members for the benefit of members. We encourage members to actively participate in SAG-AFTRA governance by voting on referenda, joining committees or serving on the National or Division Board of Directors or Local Council.
- SAG Awards Voting Privileges. Only active, paid-up Union members are given the opportunity to vote for the recipients of the Screen Actors Guild Awards coveted bronze Actor statuette. Also, "For Your Consideration" and nomination screenings are only available to active, paid-up SAG-AFTRA members. Visit the SAG Awards at www.sagawards.com for more information.
- Check if you are signing a SAG-AFTRA contract online. Use SAG-AFTRA's convenient online signatory database to check the signatory status of any project at any time. Verify this information with a call to our TV/Theatrical Contracts department at (323) 549-6828. Verifying this information makes it easier for members to comply with Global Rule One and No Contract/No Work.
Want to find out even more about the benefits of being a SAG-AFTRA member?
New Member Orientations are held regularly at SAG-AFTRA. Hear from working SAG-AFTRA members and SAG-AFTRA staff about how to get the most from your new union membership. Get your questions answered too!
- Access to Casting Directors
The SAG-AFTRA Foundation’s Casting Access Project offers union members in Los Angeles, New York and Florida opportunities to meet casting directors through educational panels and seminars and cold reading workshops with top casting directors, and it’s free.
The SAG-AFTRA Foundation also sends out invitations to cold readings and scene showcases with working casting directors.
- Supplemental Work Opportunities
The following programs are available to SAG-AFTRA members and their families who want to explore new or industry related career paths: Career Transition for Dancers, The Actors Fund–Actors Work Program, The Motion Picture Player Welfare Fund. All of these are non-profit organizations that offer free services to SAG-AFTRA members.
- Seminars to Help Actors Navigate the Business
The SAG-AFTRA Foundation’s Life Raft program offers seminars to educate actors, including Commercials 101, agent panels, how to prepare an actor’s taxes, developing your own project, parenting young performers, set etiquette and many others.
- Access to Health and Human Services
SAG-AFTRA members are automatically eligible for services offered by the Actors Fund, a national nonprofit human service organization. The Actors fund provides services to all entertainment professionals in four areas: affordable housing, sideline work, health insurance information, and social services and emergency grants. For more information please visit www.actorsfund.org
Union Plus is a program created by the AFL-CIO to develop and coordinate member-only benefits. Our union publications have showcased the Union Plus programs and services available to SAG-AFTRA members through Union Privilege. These programs and services have been developed nationally by Union Privilege – not by SAG-AFTRA – and all information and questions regarding the programs and services are handled by the individual program provides through dedicated toll-free phone numbers. SAG-AFTRA does not endorse any of the products or services. Please visit www.unionplus.org for a full listing of programs and discounts available to SAG-AFTRA members, which include:
Health Savings: Save up to 40% on prescriptions at more than 20,000 pharmacies nationwide.
Legal Services: Free and discounted legal services from union-friendly lawyers. Free consultation (up to 30 minutes).
Mortgage & Real Estate: Competitive-rate mortgages for home purchase or refinancing and savings on real estate agent services. Main benefits of this mortgage/real estate offer are: Peace of mind – option to have mortgage paid for 6 months if actor is laid off or disabled, and up to 1 year during a strike, saving money – save hundreds of in closing costs; family benefits – union members and immediate family (parents and children) are eligible to obtain loan; personal service – one personalized, professional, and knowledgeable point of contact; and variety – a wide variety of mortgages are available, including loans for those with less-than-perfect credit or other unique circumstances.