Whether it was a drama at the multiplex or a baseball game at the stadium, millions of Americans spent their Labor Day weekend being entertained in some fashion.
Thousands of Americans also tweeted, and re-tweeted, with pride the fact that they, like so many of their favorite actors and athletes, are unionized. The goal of the Tweet-a-thon was to celebrate unions and their members, as well as the benefits of being in a union not only for workers in show business and professional athletics, but in every industry.
The non-profit organization American Rights at Work coordinated the first-ever Labor Day Tweet-A-Thon as part of its mission to guarantee and promote workers rights. Screen Actors Guild, along with sister unions AFTRA and Actors’ Equity Association, joined the Major League Baseball Players Association in celebrating with ARAW the right to bargain collectively with their employers.
A tweet, for the uninitiated, is Twitter’s name for its micro-blog format, which only allows a sentence or two to be sent at any given time. Sometimes abbreviations are necessary to keep within the 140 keystroke count. During the Tweet-A-Thon, tweets ran the gamut from straightforward to surprising, including examples such as Minnesota centerfielder Denard Span who tweeted that "Becoming a union member is like hitting a homerun," while actor Emily Bergl tweeted, "If I wasn't a #unionmember , I wouldn't have health insurance, so I couldn't afford to visit my hot dentist."
“Very blssd that I'm a #Unionmember of @ScreenActors @AFTRA & @ActorsEquity & that I hav a #Pens & Hlth/Dntl plan,” tweeted actor Tim Matheson.
Others union members, past and present, honored the labor movement in their own ways. In addition, American Rights at Work tweeted union trivia throughout the weekend.
Below are just a few tweets from members. To check out more, visit unionmember.org.
- Candace Cameron Bure (@candacecbure), "Full House" and "Make It or Break It" star:
- I'm a #sagmember #unionmember. Happy Labor Day
- Hill Harper (@hillharper), "CSI:NY" star: RT @SAGNews: Thx 4 supporting Labor Day Tweet-a-Thon @HillHarper @RJmitte & many more in support of unions #unionmember #sagmember Tweet on!
- Ashley Leggat (@AshleyLeggat), "Life with Derek" and "Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen" star:
- @araw I am a very proud #unionmember
- Sharon Lawrence (@Sharonlawrence), "NYPD Blue" star and Broadway legend:
- Happy Labor Day from a proud union #sagmember #unionmember!
- Cristián de la Fuente (@iamdelafuente), "In Plain Sight" star and former "So You Think You Can Dance" contestant:
- Happy labor Day to all my "amigos" @ScreenActors and colleagues #unionmember
- Michelle Shocked (@MShocked), singer-songwriter:
- Supporting the Labor Day Tweet-a-thon...United we stand. The Union makes us strong #unionmember #sagmember #afmmember
- Yvette Nicole Brown (@yvettenbrown), NBC's "Community" star:
- Happy Labor Day, Everybody! : ) I'm proud to be a card carrying #unionmember #sagmember #AFTRAmember (@ScreenActors @Aftra)
- R J Mitte (@RjMitte), "Breaking Bad" star:
- A collective unified voice is a powerful force im a proud union member. #SAGmember #unionmember tweet for labor!
- Chris Gorham (@Chris_Gorham), "Covert Affairs" star:
- Happy Labor Day! #UnionMember
- Debbie Campbell (@debbiecampbell), actor:
- "Pray for the dead and fight like hell for the living." --Mother Jones. Proud #unionmember: SAG/AFTRA/AEA. Happy Labor Day!
- Scott Klein (@ScottJKlein), actor, producer, retired baseball player:
- RT @ScreenActors: @ScreenActors = 77 years of union protections for SAG members. #unionmember #SAGMember Membership has it's privileges
- Louanne Sirota (@Louanimal), Broadway actor known for portraying Annie:
- Proud #unionmember here to celebrate Labor Day -- ShowBiz style! #AFTRAmember (since 1979) #SAGmember (since 1980) #AEAmember (since 1980)!
- Jaret Reddick (@jaret2113), lead vocalist for Bowling for Soup:
- Headed to rock for the troops in Cuba! Have an amazing and safe holiday weekend!! I hope there's queso!! JR #unionmember #sagmember
- Bobby Rivers (@BobbyRiversTV), TV network personality and former VH1 talk show host:
- My thanks to actor/writer/dir. Melvin Van Peebles who helped me become a member of @ScreenActors in '88. #SAGmember #unionmember
- Jeremy Redleaf (@theleafisred), creator of Streamy Award winning web series "Odd Job Nation":
- Without SAG, AFTRA & AEA, I'd probably perform for free. Heck, I'd end up paying *them*... proud to be a #unionmember
- Madisen Beaty, (@madisenofficial), "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" star:
- I'm a proud #unionmember /#sagmember - to all @ScreenActors - Happy Labor Day!! RT